Industry Interviews: Project and Construction Management
“Stick confidently to what you know well and understand what you don’t…….”
Name: Peter Southwell
Length of Time in industry: 37 years
- Project and construction advisory and management
- Project planning and programming
- Contract management & administration
- Business development
- General management
What I’ve learned:
- To keep it real – stick confidently to what you know well and understand what you don’t, so that you can call on someone else who does.
- To listen more (especially to people who have different views to yours); ask more; say ‘thank you’ more, but otherwise – talk less.
- To be open with people, including having difficult conversations when that’s necessary for them and the business.
- If you set high morals and standards for yourself, good people will get on the bus with you.
- That you never stop learning.
- That being able to write well and succinctly is important.
- That if you’re not enjoying work, do something else. 35 years is too long and life’s too short to be doing something that you don’t love!